How do I get myself and my home ready for my program?
Decide WHEN you will begin and put it in your calendar AND post it proudly on your fridge! You will need to block some time in your schedule for shopping and prepping foods ahead of time so you are not tempted to veer off the program due to a desperate “hangry” freak out episode. Get rid of any “toxic temptations” such as breads, anything with sugar, chips, beverages… basically rid your home of any items on the “do not eat” list. If it’s out of sight it is out of mind.
How important is planning ahead?
Planning is everything! You are much more likely to stick with the program if you have a clear plan of what to eat. I will help you create your own meal plan using the tools received upon program sign up. For a little while, eating at work or out at restaurants and social gatherings is going to be challenging. It is best to be equipped with your foods for success. A little advance planning is going to be your key to success.
Do I really need to keep a journal?
Yes, some note taking is advised as it helps us learn and determine when you are feeling preoccupied with food or get hit with a challenge to overcome a snack attack. Awareness gives us more range to make empowered choices that support our best health!
How much water should I be drinking during the re-set?
Probably more than you’re used to! Water helps flush toxins out of your system so you need to drink a lot. Fill up two liters of water in the morning. You are much more likely to drink if it’s there in front of you. Increase your water intake if you exercise regularly or are very active. You should be drinking a minimum of 2/3 your body weight per day. Use the simple formula .67 x your body weight to get your minimum amount. If you aren’t currently drinking lots of water make sure you add it slowly, 1/2 cup per hour until you reach your minimum amount. Think of your body as a sponge. If it’s dry water will run off. If it’s hydrated (wet) it absorbs.
OMG, do I really need to give up coffee on cleansing days?!
We’ve been there…We know how much that cup of Joe is part of your daily life. The answer is yes, you really do have to give up all coffee, decaf included for the first 7 days. Coffee is very acidic and dehydrating, and caffeine severely taxes the detox organs, such as the liver and kidneys. Here’s what we suggest you do to let go of coffee during your journey enjoy a: GREEN Smoothie, TECCINO (This is a super yummy coffee substitute), GREEN TEA or YERBA MATE: These are great substitutes - energizing and full of additional health benefits.
Do I really need to buy all organic foods?
Yes. Non-organic produce contains pesticides, herbicides and icky stuff that overworks your liver and increase toxicity in the body. Organic foods are more nutritious and you’ll be satisfied with less food so you feel light and energized after eating. Yes, organic foods do cost more, but you’re worth it, especially during your cleanse!
Will I lose weight during the 21 day re-set?
Yes, your body will shed some excess weight when you clean up your eating and avoid processed sugar, gluten, dairy and other food irritants. Average weight loss is about 10lbs.
What sort of symptoms/side effects can i expect during the 21 day re-set?
In a well designed cleanse program such as this one, you need not feel like crap, but you will likely experience some symptoms. Afterall, you are eliminating bad things from your body and detoxing! Symptoms may include: increased body odor, bad breath, fatigue, headaches, irritability, chilliness, dry lips and skin (dehydration!), constipation or increased mucous discharge. If you are experiencing strong, unpleasant symptoms, it may be an indication that your tissues are releasing toxins faster than your eliminating organs can excrete them.
Will i feel like I'm starving?
This is not a fasting program so you should not feel hungry. In fact, most people are surprised that they feel even more satisfied. If you do feel hungry, it could be that you are experiencing withdrawal from sugar (This is normal and will pass in a few days). Hunger could also signal that you are not eating enough fat, protein or complete balanced meals. Sometimes we can also experience a false hunger or emotional hunger. In this case, it is important we identify this!
Is following the 21 day re-set program hard or confusing? How about the 90 or 120 day?
No! Upon your enrollment you will receive a guide booklet that we will review together. In the guide you will be provided with clear lists of what to eat (and what not to eat!), suggested meal combinations & options, easy to follow worksheets for planning you day and week… recipes and tips for success.
Why am I craving sugar? Help!
Your cravings are usually caused by one or a combination of three factors: detoxing, under-eating and emotional imbalance. So we need to determine together what may be happening. If it is your body detoxing, upping your alkalizing foods such as dark green leafy vegetables will help the feelings pass. If you are under-eating we need to adjust so you are eating enough nutrient-dense foods. Sometimes cravings for sweet flavor is an indication we are yearning for more sweetness in our lives. Consider what you might really be needing? Love, approval, a hug, play, social time, solo time, a walk in nature, a massage, or perhaps you need to just put on some great music and dance!
Hmmmm, I’ve heard that re-set programs can leave you constipated. Is that true?
Most people do not experience such side effects but to prevent constipation make sure you are drinking at least 2 liters of water a day and move your body! Do daily walking, jogging, yoga, stretching, especially twists. Constipation can make the belly feel very full. You may want to reduce food intake until your bowels empty. If you’ve tried the prevention techniques above, and you’re still not going easily (at least once a day), here are some other options:
1) Belly Massage: Lie on your back with your knees up. Begin in the lower right area of your belly. Press deeply with your fingertips. Work clockwise along the soft area below your ribcage.
2) Laxative Tea: Drink one strong cup twice a day of Traditional Medicinals “Smooth Move” tea.
3) Magnesium Citrate: Magnesium Citrate promotes healthy bowel function. Take 2-3 capsules 2x/day until your bowels start moving again. Be mindful of your dosage.
I’m pregnant. Is it safe to do the 21 day re-set cleanse?
While this is a very gentle program that benefits most people, if you are pregnant, nursing, are on any kind of prescription drugs or have a medical condition, do NOT start the program without first consulting your doctor.
What happens after I complete a 21 day reset cleanse?
After the 21 day re-set we come away with knowledge of which foods are impact triggers for you, from here it’s time to create a sustainable plan for your optimal health. With my coaching and guidance I will set up a clear strategy that incorporates these new insights into healthy habits that set you on a path to live life fit. Most clients continue on to a 90 or 120 day program. Without a plan, old habits sneak back in and derail all the great clearing you’ve done during the 21day re-set. As much as I want you to celebrate your 21 day achievement that does not mean I am giving you “destructive permission” to pig out on desserts or overindulge on comfort foods! I do recommend rewarding and pampering yourself, but consider non-food forms of reward that continue to promote your health, vitality and fitter you.
What happens after I complete a 90 day or 120 program?
I offer a maintenance program if you want to continue on with accountability and support. I can also write additional food plans if you are bored with your current foods and ready for something new. Everything is customizable.
What can I do to enhance the removal of toxins?
I’m glad you asked! There are several things you can practice or participate in that helps the body get rid of those nasty toxins. When you sign up for my programs I provide you with some guided instructions & practices.
- Saunas: One of the ways the human body removes toxins and speeds up metabolism is through sweating! The importance of being well hydrated before and during a sweating treatment cannot be overemphasized. This means sipping water over a long period before, not just guzzling a bunch of water immediately before or during your sauna. To maximize health benefits, alternate between 10 minutes in a sauna, followed by a cold plunge or shower. *Be sure to consult your doctor before taking a sauna if you are pregnant or have a heart or kidney condition.
- Stretching, massage & exercise: All of these provide you with important opportunities to love and pay attention to your body, relieve stress, improve circulation, and improve muscle and organ health. Easy stretching and exercising should be included daily. Massage treatments are excellent and a great reward for a job well done!
- Breathing techniques: Doing some simple breathing exercise for five minutes once a day is a great practice. Your goal is simply to keep your attention on the breath cycle and observe. This is a basic form of meditation, a relaxation method, and a way to begin to harmonize body, mind, and spirit.
- Detox Tea: Detox tea usually includes gentle cleansing herbs that promote healthy liver function such as burdock, dandelion, licorice root, fennel seed and nettles. You can find a caffeine free Detox Tea at your local health food store. My favorite is by Zija and contains Moringa (the healthiest plant in the world).
- Hot water bottle: Hot water bottles aren’t just for old timers. it is one of the most useful all-purpose health care products you will ever use! It is designed to apply comfortable, soothing heat therapy easily and conveniently to any part of the body, for a variety of ailments. Use it on your abdomen to aid in digestion or apply to back to relax.